Geoffrey Wilson was born in 1921, in Bradford, Yorkshire under modest circumstances, living in a back-to-back row house without electricity. After service in World War II he became a lecturer in civil engineering and became outraged by the ugliness of the bridges over the M1, Britain’s first motorway. As a result he instituted the country’s first course in Architectural Engineering, now part of the received teaching canon. With a B.Sc. (1940) and M.Sc. (1941) in Civil Engineering and his Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects (1954) qualifications, he became the first University Planning Officer at the University of Leeds. Persuaded to take charge of the post war expansion, he helped manage the campus capacity for growth – from 3,000 towards its present 33,000 students. His advice to change architectural consultants resulted in the appointment of Chamberlin, Powell and Bon (who designed the Barbican in London) to develop plans for the expansion of the University. Their collaboration resulted in a development plan that won international acclaim and awards for several of its buildings. Wilson is an Associate of the British Watercolour Society and a Fellow of the International Guild of Artists.